Looking for the best laptop for Digital Art in 2021?
Are you an excellent artist and thinking of using a pen to sketch a drawing on your computer?
Stop searching; this is the right guide for you!
In this review, I will present the best laptops for Digital Art!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase a product by using a link on this page, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
No Time to Waste? Here’s My #5 Favorites!
Best Laptop for Digital Art
When it comes to sketching equipment, a drawing laptop or a good old-fashioned pen and paper spring to mind. A laptop is one of the most helpful tools for photography, illustrators, and designers.
Touchscreen laptops and super-sensitive smartpens are also now available as a result of technical developments. This includes, among other things, a system with an appropriate technical specification to manage Photoshop, Maya, or whatever application you want, as well as a design that is portable enough to transport you from meeting to office, subway, and coffee shop. Whether you’re seeking to get started in digital art or update your workstation, there’s a device out there that’s suited for you and your needs.
Having decent, high-quality laptops may make or break your situation. Yes, there are many low-cost computers available, and they are typically enough for most purposes. However, artists require more from their computers. For a laptop to be considered among the best laptop for digital art it requires fast processors, ample storage, and bright, elevated displays with superb color accuracy. There’s also the issue of durability and dependability. Artists are not always harsher on their computers than other people, nor are they inherently inepter or heavy-handed.
They do, however, have a tendency to fall in love with our equipment, and if they obtain a decent laptop computer that works well for them, they will use it more and more and want it to live long. That is why it is important to know more about the specifications of any device before buying it.
What Specifications should a Laptop for Digital Art Have?
Spending too little on your laptop might be even terrible than investing too much – you could wind up with a computer that is difficult to use, discourages you, and even holds you down in your training, development, and pleasure. And one that may even end up costing you more in the long term owing to lost time, lost chances and servicing expenditures.
When it comes to laptops for artists the graphics setup is the most important feature to search for in a drawing laptop. To guarantee that the effect of your artwork is fully comprehended and observed, your laptop must meet above-average color richness and display clarity criteria. You must recognize that sacrificing on the display side will result in pretty poor digital art. You don’t require a laptop display with a faster refresh rate, but you should consider purchasing an HD/Full HD display, a better image quality, and a laptop with a wide color gamut.
As a result, the best laptops for artists should include, at least, the following features:
- 8 GB RAM is recommended, while 16-32 GB is preferable.
- Storage: 256 GB – ideally 512 GB – 1 TB
- Display in HD – ideally Full HD or 4K
- A fast, strong CPU of the current generation with a decent, quick graphics co-processor
Should You Get a Laptop or a Tablet?
Many individuals want to buy a tablet or even a phablet, so they can operate instantly on the monitor, such as sketching or painting, editing, and so on, but then they attempt to do everything else on it as well. As every artist should get a powerful laptop computer, this may be quite annoying and restrictive. You can also purchase a swappable display tablet or drawing pad and do amazing work on it, or you can get a touch laptop or a 2 in 1 (folding laptop/tablet) and work directly on its panel.
However, an artist, especially a professional artist, may need to utilize their laptop for organizational tasks as well as a variety of other tasks, which can be tedious on a tablet no matter how skilled you are at touch typing. Furthermore, genuine Apple or Windows PCs will run many of the greatest and most standard industry art software programs that iPads or Androids will not, and will enable you to see your artwork in its entire splendor on their large, gorgeous screens.
Overview: The Best Laptops for Digital Art in 2021
So, here is the list of laptops that are recommended for digital artwork:
Best laptop for Digital Art: Apple MacBook Pro – Space Gray
- Ninth-generation 6-Core Intel Core i7 Processor
- Stunning 16-inch Retina Display with True Tone technology
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
You get what you pay for, as the adage goes, and that is certainly true with Apple’s high-end computers. Apple’s Touch Bar is a new feature that substitutes the function buttons seen on most computers with something much more natural. It will automatically show the tools you require for the application you’re using, making navigating through settings and control a breeze. It is therefore considered as among the best laptop for digital art. The Retina display is beautiful and will make your artwork stand out, and the Thunderbolt connection will keep up with you well. The price is the one true drawback of the MacBook, and based on your output, you may want more than the 512 GB storage, but other than that, it’s nearly perfect for professionals.
Features of Apple MacBook Pro
- Intel Core i7 9th Generation Processor
- True Tone feature on a stunning 16-inch Retina Display
- Touch ID and the Touch Bar
- Graphics card AMD Radeon Pro 5300M along with GDDR6 memory
- Quick SSD
- UHD Graphics 630 from Intel
- Six-speaker network with woofers that cancel out the bass.
- There are four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) connectors.
- Battery life of up to 11 hours
- Wi-Fi 802.11ac
- Quieter, more durable keyboard
- Display of True Tone
- Outstanding speakers
- Incredible speed
- Superior Hardware to the 13-Inch Model
- Even the base model is expensive.
- Restricted Ports and Inadequate Upgradability
- The Touch Bar is still a gimmick.
Best Laptop for Artists: ASUS ZenBook Duo UX481
- ScreenPad Plus: 12.6 inch matte touchscreen, giving your endless way to optimize your multitasking experience by extending the screen or split windows and apps on both displays
- 14 inch Full HD NanoEdge touchscreen glossy main display
- Latest 10th generation Intel Core i7-10510U Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.9 GHz)
Considered as one of the best laptops for artists the dual-screen style of the Asus ZenBook Duo 14 UX481 distinguishes it from the competition, and the additional screen isn’t just a gimmick. It is now more useful and configurable than ever before, and its usefulness should grow over time. This is in addition to providing you with a portable device to stretch out on. With or without the second screen, this is a competent laptop with great specifications for lots of power, a gorgeous main screen, and excellent battery life. This is a game-changer laptop, for sure, with a huge potential that we’re sure to unlock with future upgrades.
Features of ASUS ZenBook Duo UX481
- ScreenPad Plus: 12.6-inch matte touchscreen with infinite ways to improve your multitasking expertise by stretching the display screen or splitting apps and windows over both screens.
- The main panel is a 14-inch Full HD NanoEdge touchscreen with a glossy finish.
- Intel Core i7-10510U Processor, 10th Generation (8M Cache, up to 4.9 GHz)
- Memory and storage are both powerful, with a 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD and 8GB DDR4 RAM.
- Sign in with Windows Hello using the built-in IR camera.
- ScreenPad Plus is preferable.
- Slim design and light.
- Excellent performance
- Excellent battery
- The placement of the keyboard is uncomfortable.
- Certain models are not accessible in all markets.
- The ScreenPad Plus is still not for everyone.
Best laptop for illustration: HP Envy x360
- Enjoy high application performance and smoother gaming experiences, with AMD Ryzen 5 2500U quad-core processor 2.0GHz( 6 MB cache, up to 3.6GHz ). With machine intelligence, multitasking capabilities...
- 15.6" Full HD Multi touch screen. With 1920 x 1080 resolution and IPS technology for wide viewing angles. Energy-efficient WLED backlight. 360° flip-and-fold design. Amd Radeon RX Vega 8 graphics
- 8GB DDR4 2400 SDRAM Memory for full-power multitasking; 256GB SSD offer enough storage for your files
A 15.6-inch diagonal IPS WLED-backlit touchscreen has been used in this model. It has a resolution of 1,920 by 1,080 pixels, which converts to full HD. It’s a good display, then again it’s apparent that HP’s finest screens are reserved for the Spectre series. Considered among one of the best laptops for illustration even at thorough going brightness, the screen seemed inert and the colors did not jump. Although the key switches compress with a nice bang, the keys are rather unstable themselves. Spreadsheet enthusiasts will like HP’s inclusion of a separate number pad, which is absent from various other 15-inch laptops, such as the Apple MacBook Pro.
Features of HP Envy x360
- AMD Ryzen 5 2500U quad-core CPU 2.0GHz delivers excellent system performance and better gaming sessions.
- 15:6 “Full HD multi-touch display. With a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and IPS technology for broad viewing perspectives. WLED backlight is energy-efficient. Design that flips and folds 360 degrees. Graphics: AMD Radeon RX Vega 8
- 8GB DDR4 2400 SDRAM Memory for high-performance multitasking; 256GB SSD storage for your data
- b/g/n/ac 802.11b/g/n/ac 802.11b/g/n/ (2×2) Bluetooth 4.2 and Wi-Fi connectivity; 1 USB 3.1 Type C connector, 1 USB 3.0 Type-A port, 2 HDMI outputs (total), 1 headphone jack
- The operating system Windows 10 weighs 4.7 pounds. And it is 0.7 “Slim.
- Excellent value for money.
- The metal construction is comparable to that of flagship devices.
- Equitable Port selection.
- Display (touch) that is above average.
- Excellent keyboard and input/output possibilities.
- The battery life may be improved.
- It’s a little loud.
- There is no Thunderbolt 3 or HDMI.
Best Convertible Laptop: Dell 9310 XPS 2 in 1
- 13.4-inch 16:10 FHD+ (1920 x 1200) WLED touch display
- 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.7 GHz)
- 32GB 4267MHz LPDDR4x, 512GB PCIe NVMe x4 SSD onboard
The measurements of the XPS 13 2-in-1 are similar to those of its HP competitor, the Spectre x360 13. The Dell boasts a 13.4-inch display with an unusual 16:10 wide aspect ratio rather than the more conventional 16:9. This offers it a small edge over similarly sized convertible laptops with 16:9 displays measuring 13.3 inches diagonally.
The chassis is constructed from two slabs of aluminium, resulting in a lid that cannot be bowed without exerting significant force and a base that feels strong and durable. With rivals coming close to 1kg, this isn’t the lightest ultraportable at 1.32kg, but it’s still light enough to carry around, and its power brick is reasonably compact and light for it to be considered as one of the best laptops for digital art.
Features of Dell 9310 XPS
- 13.4-inch FHD+ (1920 x 1200) WLED touch display with 16:10 aspect ratio
- Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor, 11th Generation (12MB Cache, up to 4.7 GHz)
- Onboard 32GB 4267MHz LPDDR4x memory and 512GB PCIe NVMe x4 SSD
- Iris Xe graphics from Intel with linked graphics space
- Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2×2) + Bluetooth 5.1 Killer
- Excellent Graphics efficiency
- Extended Battery life
- Small, light, and appealing chassis
- There are just two USB ports.
- The keyboard is a little awkward.
Dell Inspiron 14 5406 2 in 1 Convertible
- 14.0-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) WVA LED-Backlit Convertible Touchscreen
- 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.7 GHz)
- 12GB 3200MHz DDR4, 512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
There are two versions of this notepad in this work of technical art. Surprisingly, based on the hue you select, they will differ somewhat from one another. Considered as one of the best laptops for digital art the notebook’s profile is 17-18.9mm, and it weighs a whopping 1.72 kg. While it has shed some weight since last year, we still believe it is still too large for a convertible laptop. When the opening angle exceeds 80°, the rear of the base begins to rise, allowing additional breathing area for the fan and a little more pleasant typing experience.
Features of Dell Inspiron 14
- WVA LED-Backlit Convertible Touchscreen 14.0-inch FHD (1920 x 1080).
- Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor, 11th Generation (12MB Cache, up to 4.7 GHz)
- 12GB DDR4 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
- Iris Xe graphics from Intel with sharing graphics memory.
- Bluetooth 5.0 + Intel Wi-Fi 6 2×2 (Gig+).
- One of the few redeeming graces of this laptop is its excellent upgradeability.
- The fingerprint reader increases the device’s security.
- The keypad is one of the finest we’ve seen on a foldable, and it delivers an excellent typing interface.
- The laptop is rather large, with a roughly 19 mm profile and a weight of 1.72 kg.
- The usage of strong PWM across all brightness settings is also heinous.
2021 Newest Lenovo Flex 5 14″
- 【AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Processor】AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Processor (8-Core, 1.8 GHz Up to 4.3 GHz). Powered by the AMD Ryzen 7 5700U mobile processor with Radeon graphics, you have the performance to do...
- 【14.0" FHD 2-in-1 Touch Display】14.0" IPS LCD with LED-backlit Full HD (1920 x 1080) 2-in-1 Touch Display. Gives you the space and clarity you need to get your work done. Ghost Manta Accessories...
- 【16GB RAM】Reams of high-bandwidth DDR4 RAM to smoothly run your graphics-heavy PC games and video-editing applications, as well as numerous programs and browser tabs all at once.
The Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 14 punches far above its weight class and is considered as one of the laptops for artists. This 2-in-1 convertible laptop outperforms several contemporaries that cost more than double as much. Also, it features good physical connections, a robust, classy chassis, and a comfy keyboard.
While the Flex 5’s 14-inch display might be better and it could do with losing a few ounces, it’s still a fantastic deal and an outstanding middle-of-the-road laptop. This adaptability is not limited to the Flex 5. Lenovo pioneered the 2-in-1 foldable laptop idea, and it now provides a variety of 2-in-1 foldable laptop models in a variety of pricing ranges.
Features of Lenovo Flex 5
- Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700U (8-Core, 1.8 GHz Up to 4.3 GHz). The AMD Ryzen 7 5700U mobile CPU with Radeon graphics powers this device.
- 14.0″ IPS LCD with Full HD (1920 x 1080) LED-backlit 2-in-1 Touch Display. Provides you with the necessary space and clarity to complete your task.
- Oodles of high-bandwidth DDR4 RAM to run graphics-intensive PC games and video-editing software, as well as several apps and browser tabs, at the same time.
- The original seal has been opened ONLY for upgrading.
- Intel Wi-Fi 6 (2×2/160) Gigabit; Bluetooth 5.0; 2x 2W Dolby Audio DAX3 Speakers; USB A&C; Windows 10
- Strong computing efficiency.
- Excellent value for money.
- Soft-touch, long-lasting chassis.
- Touch input is supported on the screen.
- For a 14-inch ultraportable, it’s a little hefty.
- Display with a brightness of 250 nits
Apple MacBook Air 13.3”
- MacBook Air 13.3" with Retina Display - 30W USB Type-C Power Adapter - USB Type-C Charge Cable (2m) - Apple 1 Year Limited Warranty with 90 Day Technical Support
- Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU and 7-core GPU
- 16-core Neural Engine
On the exterior, the new MacBook Air looks virtually identical to the Intel-based model launched earlier this year by Apple. It boasts the same well-known wedge-shaped design, a 2560 x 1600 screen with a maximum brightness of 400 nits, Touch ID fingertip login, decent speakers, Apple’s redesigned scissor-switch keypad, and that huge trackpad.
The MacBook Air operates like a professional-grade notebook which makes it one of the best laptops for illustration. It never moans when using numerous apps. It runs demanding programs like Illustrator and even content creation apps like Adobe Premiere without issue. It has never made me hesitate to open another browser tab or ten, even in Chrome.
Features of Apple MacBook Air 13.3”
- The outcomes are jaw-dropping, with a resolution of 2560×1600 for almost 4 million pixels.
- Touch ID’s enhanced protection and usability are now integrated right into the MacBook Air with a Touch ID sensor.
- The latest-generation MacBook Air keyboard includes a butterfly system, which provides four times higher key durability than a typical scissor mechanism, as well as increased convenience and agility.
- Thunderbolt 3 mixes ultra-high speed with the ultra-versatility of the 2 USB-C accepted standards to produce one revved-up universal connector
- The battery life is excellent.
- When in use, it is completely silent.
- The keyboard is still quite nice.
- There is no new design.
- The absence of a fan may influence performance.
Frequently Asked Questions
What laptop do digital artists use?
The brands of computers offer a wide variety of models of laptops to draw. The choice must be made according to your needs and the budget that you can invest.
Here are some of the top picks for the digital art laptop:
Which display is more suitable for drawing laptops?
When choosing the best laptop for digital art, it’s best to get a very bright display. Choose a screen with a brightness of at least 300 nits, the minimum required to draw properly. With this level of brightness, you will be able to distinguish the different shades of color.
Is the Apple Mac better than a Windows laptop?
A few years ago, the Mac was considered the best computer for artists. But today this is no longer the case. There is now more professional art software on Windows than on Mac.
To put it mildly, the most important software is also available on the MAC – for example the wonderful Adobe suite or Procreate which is only available on the Mac.
The high-end Windows laptop and the Apple Macbook are very comparable. It offers very high performance with high definition displays as well as high quality software for digital art.
So, if you are a Macintosh fan, you can lean on a Macbook and on the contrary if you are a Windows fan, take a Windows laptop.
Best Laptop for Digital Art: Some Key Takeaways
If you have a substantial budget for your purchase, the Macbook Pro
from Apple is the best laptop for digital art. Apple shows us once again that it is the master of creativity.
I hope you enjoyed reading this content. Don’t forget to check out my site – where you can find more buying guides and tutorials on different programming languages.
If you’re looking for the best laptop for drawing, check out my other article: Best Laptop for Drawing in 2021.